Johnsons MME has a proud history of over sixty years operating in the Albury Wodonga region. We are the largest, independent accounting and financial advisory practice in the Southern Riverina and North East Victorian regions.
The history, longevity and tradition of Johnsons MME are important and reflect the firm's ability to stay relevant to its clients over many decades. In fact, Johnsons MME has been the trusted advisor of many local families throughout generations.
The origins of the firm began in 1948. It was around this period when a thirty-one year old Fred Johnson, having returned from serving the Australian Army in the Middle East and New Guinea during the Second World War, relocated from Sydney to Albury to manage the tax practice of legal firm, Bellbridge Hague. Within five years, Fred Johnson went on to establish an independent accounting practice, F.W. Johnson & Co.
Over the next quarter of a century F.W. Johnson and Co grew and with this growth came much change. New partners were admitted and the name of the firm evolved to Johnson Coughlan and Kay in the 1960's, then Coopers & Lybrand in 1974 and in the late 90's, PricewaterhouseCoopers.
Throughout the years, over thirty-five people who were associated and trained with the firm became principals or sole owners of accountancy practices. One of the most successful accountants trained in the practice was Frank O'Halloran, who later went on to become Chief Executive Officer of QBE Insurance. A former partner, Lloyd Lange, became a member of the NSW Legislative Council and was deputy chairman of Abigroup Ltd.
In 2000 the Albury practice of PwC was acquired by the Albury based partners, Rod Mullavey, Hugh McKenzie-McHarg and Gary Essex. Today, they are joined by Paul Goonan, Stephen Clarke, Cameron Diffey, Lynette Barber and Ryan Schischka. In 2016, Hugh McKenzie-McHarg transitioned from his partnership to an associate of the firm and remains a key person in our audit team.
Back to About Us