Extension of the JobKeeper Payment
In the wake of the harsher COVID-19 restrictions imposed on the state of Victoria, the JobKeeper payment criteria has been updated and expanded nationwide.
Eligibility Update – Business
Under JobKeeper 3.0 businesses will now be required to have a decline in actual GST turnover for the previous quarter only in order to qualify for the extension periods:
- Period One (28 September to 3 January 2021) – Businesses will qualify if they have a decline in actual GST turnover in the September 2020 quarter (July, August and September). Previously under JobKeeper 2.0 businesses were also required to have a decline in turnover for the June 2020 quarter.
- Period Two (4 January 2021 to 28 March 2021) – Businesses will qualify if they have a decline in actual GST turnover in the December 2020 quarter (October, November & December). Previously under Jobkeeper 2.0 businesses were also required to have a decline in turnover for the June and September 2020 quarters as well as the December 2020 quarter.
Note: The decline in turnover rates remain as follows:
- 50 per cent for those with an aggregated turnover of more than $1 billion;
- 30 per cent for those with an aggregated turnover of $1 billion or less; or
- 15 per cent for Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission-registered charities (excluding schools and universities)
Eligibility Update – Employee
From 3 August 2020 (start of JobKeeper fortnight 10), the employee eligibility test changed to include employees who were employed on or before 1 July 2020 on a full or part time basis. Casual employees will also now be eligible if they have been employed on a regular basis for 12 months prior to 1 July 2020.
Payment Extension for JobKeeper Fortnights 10 & 11
In line with the changes to the employee eligibility, the ATO has allowed additional time to meet the wage conditions for employees new to the JobKeeper payment.
For JobKeeper fortnights 10 (3 August 2020 to 16 August 2020) and 11 (17 August 2020 to 30 August 2020), employers will have until 31 August 2020 to meet the wage conditions for JobKeeper fortnights 10 and 11 including any back payments for newly eligible employees.